Saturday, February 26, 2011

Bye Bye, Borders....?

Again, I have turned to my Facebook friends for blog posts. My friend Matt (mentioned in earlier posts), replied with "How the Borders book chain is going out of business in the U.S. and what that means for the printed book?"

Here is what I come back with: Upon reading the news articles online; Borders has been failing for years. It's been a slow and painful process, and it's one of those "Finally!" moments. The book store chain filed for bankruptcy protection and would close 1/3 of it's store in the United States and try and get back on it's feet. I say Good Luck. There are way too many competitors out there for the company to recoup the hundreds of millions it's lost in revenue. It's LARGE competitors are:  Barnes and Noble, Walmart, and Costco. It's electronic book competitors are Apple, and Amazon. Borders has been sluggish and unable to keep up with the pack in the rapidly changing industry.

So my answer to Matt is that with Borders closing, it does not affect the printed book in a big way. There are plenty of other places to get printed books, or eBooks for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment