Tuesday, December 21, 2010

From My Bookshelf--Lisa's Favourites



I decided that since I'm writing book blogs and I've gone through the Chapters Top 50 List and I've only read 3 then I should just tell everyone MY favourite books. Now keep in mind I'm a 23 year-old girl, but the choices on my bookshelf may surprise you and hopefully encourage you to pick up a book.

My Favourite Authors:
Dan Brown- Davinci Code, Angels and Demons, The Lost Symbol
--> We all know of, or have seen the Davinci Code. These books are described as brainy thrillers. I agree, they're amazing. It's nice to read a book that enthralls you and allows you to learn all at the same time! Here's a fun fact: one of my tattoos, my name in ambigram, comes from these novels.
Jodi Picoult- House Rules, Vanishing Acts, My Sister's Keeper, Salem Falls, Plain Truth, The Pact
--> As you may have read in a previous blog post (and if not, I suggest you do read it), you would know I'm a huge Jodi Picoult fan. HUGE. She gets into your head and your heart as she combines love, romance, family relationships, courtroom thrillers, and controversial issues; that enthrall, and make it very difficult to put the book down.
Nicholas Sparks- Dear John, The Notebook, Nights in Rodanthe, The Last Song, The Rescue, A Walk to Remember, The Wedding
--> THE best romance novelist alive.
Chelsea Handler- My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One Night Stands, Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea; Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang
--> These books make me look like an idiot if I'm not reading them alone in a room. Chelsea is a comedian and her books will make you laugh out loud. More than once.
Jeff Lindsay- Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Dearly Devoted Dexter, Dexter in the Dark, Dexter by Design, Dexter is Delicious
--> The TV show was derived from these books, and they are excellent. If you love Dexter, then you'll love these. As I've mentioned before, books are ALWAYS better than the television/movies they come from.











______________________________________________________

Now, I tend to read a few biography/memoirs (only the ones that are interesting, not the really boring ones--which most of them are), so here are my favourites:
(insert drumroll)

Dog the Bounty Hunter- You Can Run But You Can't Hide
--> I love the show. And in the show, when he catches someone, Duane Chapman (DOG) usually gives some sort of speech on how he used to be just like them, a criminal, and how he has changed his ways. The book is an amazing insight into his life as a criminal, his jail time, and how he turned his life around. You also learn he is the father of 12 children. Yes, 12 of them.
Kerry Cohen- Loose Girl: A Memoir of Promiscuity
--> I was standing in front of the Biography section at Coles when the title caught my eye, I read the jacket and decided that it sounded like a good read. It is. I could not put this book down.You learn of the author's descent into promiscuity, and how she gradually found her way towards real intimacy.
John Grogan- Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
--> You've probably seen the movie. I'll reiterate, books are always better than the movies. The story of a couple who gets married, starts their careers, and gets a dog (because dogs always seem to come before babies).It's a very real, relateable story that shows what unconditional love really is.  If you can't relate to this story, you can borrow my dog.
Tucker Max- I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell
--> A story of a drunken law students escapades.  It's not for the faint hearted. But if you have a good sense of humour, I highly suggest this book. I laughed so hard I cried.
Cupcake Brown- A Piece of Cake: A Memoir
-->There are shelves of memoirs about overcoming the death of a parent, childhood abuse, rape, drug addiction, miscarriage, alcoholism, hustling, gangbanging, near-death injuries, drug dealing, prostitution, or homelessness. Cupcake Brown survived all these things before she had even turned twenty. An amazing story that illistrates the saying "things have to get worse before they get better." Unlike any memoir you will ever read.


There you have it, my favourites!

To get back to the Powassan and District Library website:
http://powlib.www2.onlink.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment